Boy dies in St Michaels Boys College boarding school

Boy dies in St Michaels Boys College boarding school
Late Onyekwuluje, 11-year-old JSS 2 student of St. Michael’s Boys College.

Boy dies in St Michaels Boys College boarding school.

Boy reportedly dies in St Michaels Boys College boarding school over negligence

An 11-year-old Junior secondary school JSS 2 student of St. Michael’s Boys College, Onyekwuluje by name, has reportedly lost his life over alleged school administration’s incompetence in failing to notify his parents to pick him up when he became ill.

The Onyekwuluje family of Umuakwa, Ihiala in Anambra State, is mourning the death of their only son, Bright Chidalu Onyekwuluje.

He was a boarding student at St. Michael’s Boys College in Ekwusigo Local Council, Anambra State, till his death.

The family has previously filed a complaint with the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Usman Alkali, about the circumstances surrounding their son’s death on December 17, 2021.

While their son’s health deteriorated, the family claimed that rather than releasing him for medical treatment, the school’s administration insisted on keeping him behind to complete his final exams.

They stated that a worried relative had to borrow a phone from someone to inform the family about Bright’s deteriorating health and his refusal to leave the school.

Also Read: IPOB Bans Nigerian anthem in south-east schools

Prince Cornelius and Ogochukwu Onyekwuluje, the deceased’s parents, told journalists during the funeral of their son that he died nine days after he was taken away from the school.

“My son, Bright Chidalu Onyekwuluje, died as a result of the school’s neglect. They ignored to inform us he was ill. “It was my son’s cousin who borrowed a phone and called his mother to warn us to come get Bright because he was dying,” Prince Onyekwuluje said, adding that when he voiced concern about his son’s health, he was urged by the school not to bother coming to get him.

“He said he was the one who carried him from the school dorm to the classroom every day to take exams.

“Even after the call, I sought out to my son’s guardian, but he lied to me, telling me that the boy was OK and that nothing was wrong.” I urged on picking him up from my home in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, and they assured me it was nothing severe.

“When I prevailed on seeing him, I was shocked because the boy appeared to be dying. I questioned the guardian whether this was the child who had declared he was fine, but he remained silent. I’ve now lost my only child.”

However, the school’s principal, Rev. Fr. Romanus Ike Muoma, refuted the claim that the administration took too long to release the student to his parents, explaining that he was speedily treated for malaria before relapsing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.