Deconstructing Myths about Online Learning, Don’t be afraid to study remotely!
Have you tried studying online yet? If not, it’s time to discover distance education abroad!
You can study online in a convenient schedule and from anywhere in the world. Without leaving your home, you will receive a diploma from a cool foreign university, and then the opportunity to live and work in another country.
World experts assure that the future lies with online learning. And if you still think that studying remotely is difficult or unpromising, we are ready to dispel your doubts!
Deconstructing Myths about Online Learning
We have collected 10 of the most popular myths about distance education and we will answer them right now:
Myth 1. Online programs are of lower quality
The curriculum for distance learning programs is similar to the curriculum of classic programs in which students study on campus, adjusted for a different learning format. Online programs undergo the same accreditation, so their quality and compliance with standards are guaranteed by reputable authorities.
Myth 2. Universities do not pay enough attention to students of online programs
Distance education is one of the main directions in the development of most foreign universities. For students of online departments, special educational platforms are created, they have virtual access to all resources and support services. University faculty and staff give equal time and attention to on-campus students and distance-learning students.
Myth 3. Employers don’t trust distance education
If until recently this problem was relevant, today the situation has changed dramatically both abroad and in Russia. Many employers not only highly value specialists who were trained remotely, but also want to get such employees. The desire to study online, especially abroad, speaks of a person’s purposefulness, his desire to develop, his readiness to study and work in a modern format.
Myth 4. Learning online is too difficult.
At the beginning of online learning, some students have problems with self-organization. They can be dealt with easily thanks to the basic skills of time management and self-discipline. Otherwise, the level of complexity of online programs is the same as that of classic programs on campus. What’s more, you may find many of the benefits of studying in a more independent and flexible format!
Myth 5. Distance learning requires special computer skills and gadgets
In fact, this is not the case. For distance education abroad, it is enough to have a computer and Internet access, as well as basic skills in using a browser, text editors and e-mail.
Myth 6: Online students don’t have access to all the same resources as full-time students
When it comes to learning resources, distance learning students have the same access to them as students on the university campus. In particular, all students have equal access to textbooks and manuals, library resources, special software, information portals, support programs, etc.
Of course, full-time students on the university campus can use sports facilities, personally attend cultural events and much more, but this is not directly related to the educational process.
Myth 7. Online learning limits communication with professors
We have already noted that teachers spend as much time on online students as they do on any other student. We add that all distance programs abroad involve constant and intensive communication with teachers, checking work and consulting. Every week, the professors set aside overtime, during which online students can talk to them in person and ask any questions of interest.
Myth 8. Students of distance learning programs are not part of the university student community
Of course, we have to admit that distance education abroad literally distances you from university life. You do not visit the university campus, do not live in a hostel with fellow students, do not take part in student activities. For some, this is a minus, for others, a plus, especially if you have something to do and do not want to change your usual way of life.
Nevertheless, modern technologies and the approach of universities to online learning allow even distance students to feel their involvement in what is happening in the educational institution. And it’s not just about access to all kinds of resources and support services. The latest online learning platforms make it a reality to connect with fellow online students and students on campus. Universities host a variety of online activities. Many universities invite students who study remotely to periodically visit the campus, including to receive a diploma at a ceremony with other graduates.
Deconstructing Myths about Online Learning;
Myth 9: Online education abroad is expensive
It’s not like that at all! What’s more, online programs are often cheaper than their classic on-campus counterparts. By enrolling in a distance higher education program abroad, you will pay for the education itself the same or less than you would pay for full-time studies. The difference between the cost of full-time and part-time programs depends on the specific university and can go up to several thousand dollars.
Also Read: Latest School News in Nigeria
Even if the difference is not so great, it is still beneficial to study online. Unlike students who move to live in another country, you can save on rent, meals and other daily expenses. Especially when it comes to a country where living is more expensive. In this case, in the end you will receive exactly the same diploma. Another important factor is that foreign universities are increasingly offering scholarships for students of distance learning programs. This allows additional savings on studies.
Myth 10. Distance learning programs do not provide all the necessary knowledge and skills
If so, they would not be accredited and would not lead to standard qualifications such as bachelor’s or master’s degrees. Online students follow the same curriculum, resources and study materials as students on campus. In addition, in recent years, more and more distance study programs abroad include internships. Since 2020, virtual internships have begun to develop actively, and universities have expanded support programs for distance students who want to get real work experience.
Moreover, the experience of secondary and higher education institutions shows that the academic performance of online students is often even higher than that of students on campuses. The thing is that they are less distracted from their studies, they can study in the most convenient schedule and conditions.
Why is it better to study remotely abroad than in Russia?
Remote higher education can be obtained both in Russia and abroad. In both cases, distance learning is about the same. Students learn from home through video and audio lectures, electronic textbooks, presentations, etc. In both cases, students pass intermediate certification, final exams and receive diplomas.
Distance learning in Russian universities has only two advantages: the low cost of education and the opportunity to study in Russian.
Deconstructing Myths about Online Learning;
We at LatestSchoolNews advise you to consider studying online abroad, and here’s why:
- Foreign universities have more online learning experience, and the quality of the programs is higher.
- Most foreign universities offer distance learning programs. Some even have separate online faculties. While in Russia and the CIS it is not possible to study online everywhere, abroad you will have a truly wide range of universities and study programs.
- Overseas universities are working with more modern online learning platforms. The educational process itself takes place in a more convenient format. Distance students of foreign universities are less likely to encounter technical and other problems during their studies.
- Despite the fact that distance education in Europe and America is more expensive, its cost can be significantly reduced through scholarships.
- Foreign universities have a more developed and streamlined system of academic, technical, financial and career support for students in distance learning programs.
- Schools abroad are doing more to integrate online students into university life.
- Distance education abroad opens up wide opportunities for employment or further study in another country. Foreign employers trust diplomas received after online education, 83% of large Western companies believe that online students are not inferior to students on campus in terms of the level of preparation.
If a few years ago there was a difference abroad between the salaries of graduates of classical and distance programs, today it is practically nonexistent. For example, in the United States, the average salary for a graduate with a Bachelor of Business Administration degree is $ 58,000 whether he studied online or on campus.
- You can immigrate through online training. In many countries, graduates of distance learning programs are legally entitled to live and work in the country where the university is located, even if they have never been there during the entire period of study. For example, Canada recently signed a law under which graduates of online programs from Canadian universities will be able to obtain standard work visas for graduates on an equal basis with students on campus. This means that after completing distance learning, graduates will be able to move to live and work in Canada.
- Even if you are not going to move abroad, it is important to remember that for a Russian employer a foreign diploma, even obtained through online education, is usually more convincing than a diploma from a correspondence department graduate of a Russian university. In Russia, distance education is still more wary, so the fact of graduating from a foreign university may be in your favor.
You can share this post, “Deconstructing Myths about Online Learning” with your friends.