TechGirls 2022 Application.
About the TechGirls summer exchange program (techgirlsglobal.org):
TechGirls is an international summer exchange program that aims to empower and encourage young women from all around the world to pursue scientific and technology careers.
Since 2012, 343 adolescent girls (ages 15-17) from Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, the Palestinian Territories, Tunisia, and Yemen have been trained and supervised by TechGirls. In 2019, the program was expanded to include young Central Asian women (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan).
In 2022, the program will grow to support 111 young women from 35 countries/territories and 25 U.S. peers in a dynamic four-week U.S.-based experience with an eight-month mentorship program (including pre- and post-exchange).
The program’s centerpiece is a 27-day trip to the United States, organized in collaboration with Virginia Tech University. TechGirls attend an interactive technology and computer camp before traveling to one of the following cities for job shadowing, homestays, and community service activities (Austin, Chicago, Cincinnati, Denver, Detroit, Portland, or Seattle). As participants return home to perform community-based projects with 5 months of mentorship, the TechGirls program has a multiplier impact.
TechGirls includes 40 hours of study at a Tech Camp with our partner, the Center for Enhancement in Engineering Diversity at Virginia Tech, as well as skill-development courses and contacts with America’s most inventive tech professionals. The TechGirls program provides a deep cultural immersion experience for participants, as well as improving their abilities to enter tech sectors and encouraging them to pursue higher education in disciplines where women are underrepresented.
Eligible Countries: TechGirls will be competitively recruited and selected from the following regions/countries and territories:
- Sub-Saharan Africa (AF) – Cameroon, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, and South Africa
- East Asia and Pacific (EAP) – Cambodia, Fiji, Indonesia, Mongolia, Taiwan, and Vietnam
- Middle East and North Africa (NEA) – Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestinian Territories, and Tunisia
- South and Central Asia (SCA) – Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan
- Western Hemisphere (WHA) – Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Costa Rica, Honduras, and Suriname
- Europe and Eurasia (EUR) – Albania, Cyprus, Greece, Kosovo, Montenegro, and Turkey
- United States of America
Also Read: Study Permit: How to get student visa to Canada 2022
- Challenge themselves with new questions and concepts
- Learn coding and tech skills from enthusiastic university professors
- Network with influential industry leaders
- Discover their own innovative leadership style
- Create meaningful friendships with young women from all over the world
- Explore the diverse communities of Washington, D.C., southwest Virginia and across the country
- Inspire the next generation of women and girls in their home countries
TechGirls global summer exchange online application 2022 | How to apply
The 2022 application will be available on November 16, 2021, and will close on January 15, 2022.
Participants in TechGirls are chosen based on the eligibility conditions listed below. Applications are reviewed by independent selection committees comprised of industry leaders and regional specialists. Semifinalists are interviewed by US Embassy staff in your place of permanent residence.
If you are a U.S. applicant please see the U.S. Youth Ambassadors program page.
TechGirls 2022 Eligibility Requirements
Students eligible to apply are those who:
- Are from one of the eligible countries/territories already listed above.
- Are between the ages of 15 and 17 when the exchange begins on July 7, 2022;
- In their academic studies, they have exhibited advanced capabilities and a strong interest in science, technology, engineering, and/or math;
- Intend to continue your study and/or work in the field of technology;
- Have a good command of the English language;
- Demonstrate maturity, flexibility, and a willingness to learn;
- Will return to their native country and complete at least one extra semester of secondary school; and Are committed to completing a community-based project upon their return.
- Those with little or no prior experience in the United States will be given priority. If you have traveled to the United States as part of another ECA exchange program in the last three years, you are not eligible.
Please keep in mind that family members of U.S. Embassy or Consulate employees are not eligible. Employees of the US Department of State, family members of the administering organization, and partner organizations are not eligible.
TechGirls welcomes applications from persons with a variety of backgrounds and skills, including those with disabilities.
TechGirls 2022 Benefits
The TechGirls program covers the following costs:
- Visa Fee
- Roundtrip international airfare from participant home country to the United States
- Housing during program
- Double occupancy dormitory accommodations
- Meals during program
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Local transportation to group program events
- Cultural events organized by Legacy International
- Emergency health insurance
This program will also involve the following activities:
- July 8-9, 2022: Arrivals and Orientation in Washington, D.C.
- July 10-22, 2022: Technology and leadership training at Virginia Tech , Blacksburg Virginia
- July 23-28, 2022: Community Immersion component in one of the following cities (Austin, Chicago, Cincinnati, Denver, Detroit, Portland or Seattle). This component will include job shadow days, community service activities, and home stays with carefully screened and vetted American families.
- July 29-August 3, 2022: Washington D.C.- Visits to NASA, Capitol Hill and capstone events.
TechGirls 2022 deadline
The application for the 2022 TechGirls will open on November 16, 2021 at 12:00 p.m. EST and close on January 15, 2022 at 12:00 p.m. EST. Semifinalists will be contacted by email for the next round of interviews on or around March 1. In early April, final judgments will be made. The outcomes of all applications will be notified to all applicants.
Frequently asked questions and answers on TechGirls program:
TechGirls is an international summer exchange program that aims to empower and encourage young women from all around the world to pursue scientific and technology careers
Yes, but only for girls between the ages of 15 and 17.
The United States of America.
The deadline for the application is on January 15, 2022 at 12:00 p.m. EST.
You can participate in this great program if you meet all the eligibility requirements listed on our website.
Yes!! Students who choose to observe certain religious activities are given the space and chance to do so by the TechGirls team. The daily timetable is set up to accommodate Muslims’ five daily prayers. On Fridays, Muslims set aside time for a longer prayer period in the middle of the day or for congregational Jummah prayer. We make provisions for people who attend regular Sunday services. In terms of dietary restrictions, we make sure to explain each participant what is halal at buffets and, where possible, arrange meals at halal restaurants.